I graduated from Falmouth in 2006. Then, after completing my studies at McGill University in Montreal, Quebec, I decided to join the Peace Corps. Now, follow my 27-month adventure as a youth development facilitator in Azerbaijan!

Monday, September 20, 2010

The World Is Not Enough


Greetings (Salam) yachtsmen,

As the above comments indicate, I graduated from Falmouth four years ago. I completed my Bachelor’s degree in political science and economics at McGill University in Montreal, Quebec, Canada in May. I played lacrosse for McGill and also volunteered for Right To Play, an international humanitarian organization. More than a year ago, I applied to the Peace Corps. After a yearlong rigorous and competitive application process, I was accepted and given my assignment as a youth development facilitator in the small, former Soviet republic of Azerbaijan (about the size of Maine). The correspondence match program allows me to share my experience with classrooms back in the United States. I could think of no one better than you all!

It is an absolute pleasure and an honor to be able to share my experience with all of you. I hope that our correspondence will serve as a valuable tool as you study this area of the world and as you grow as young men and women. As a youth development facilitator, I will be working with people your age. As such, you will have the unique opportunity to see how people your age live and grow up, over 6,000 miles away!

My hope is that this correspondence and the accompanying blog will provide an alternative way of learning that you will find both educating and entertaining. I will post a blog entry at least one time per month, and you will all reciprocate with questions, comments, and responses. I will work with your teachers to make this relationship as valuable as possible to your overall studies. Hopefully, you will find it interesting as well!

The title of this post, “The World Is Not Enough,” is of particular importance. Although it may seem like a lame, cliché way of romanticizing my trip, I promise the actual meaning is far more intriguing. Ever since I was given my assignment, I have been asked the question, “AzerbaiWHERE???” at least once a day! The title stems from the James Bond film that partially took place in Azerbaijan. Sadly, this is usually the only reason someone in North America has ever heard of Azerbaijan. It is for this exact reason that I am so excited about this blog. I want to give you all the opportunity to learn about a country that has so much to offer. The two articles below will help to introduce you to the Republic of Azerbaijan!

The first article was one of the feature articles in the August edition of National Geographic. This article gives a tremendous account of the future of Azerbaijan and its economic potential. It also serves to explain Azerbaijan’s relations with its neighbors, including Georgia, Armenia, and Turkey. Additionally, it includes a lot of beautiful pictures for those of you who are just sick and tired of reading!!!

The second article, although short (YAY!), gives a wonderful explanation of Azerbaijan as a nation and a culture. It is a timely article that challenges you to open your eyes and avoid generalizing.

I will end this post with a challenge. I challenge each of you to take advantage of this blog, of this correspondence. This relationship your teachers have helped foster is a tremendous opportunity for you to broaden your horizons and really learn about the world. So, ask me questions, do your own research, and become global citizens!
I look forward to hearing from you all!

4 comments:

  1. Hi, I'm Madeline, here are some of my questions concerning Azerbaijan and the articles that we read about it.

    If Azerbaijan is as small as Maine than you must not be very far from the borders; do you ever have any contact with neighboring countries, or is each country isolated?

    I also was wondering about Azerbaijan's relationship with Russia, it mentioned that in the article, but I didn't know that Russia had a strong relationship with the Middle East.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi I'm Jessica, a student in Ms. Stankard's honors world history class.
    Here are some of my questions:
    1. What differences between Azerbaijan and the United States have surprised you?
    2. How are the kids you are working with responding to your "facilitating"?
    3. Is the language of Azerbaijan hard to learn?

    Thanks for taking the time to correspond with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I'm Katie, a Student in Ms. Stankard's honors world history class. I have a few questions about Azerbaijan and your experience there:
    1. What is your favortie thing about being in the peace corps?
    2. What was your least favorite thing about being in the peace corps?
    3. What is the biggest issue the people you work with in Azerbaijan are faced with?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What you were saying about the “Soviet hangover” making creativity lapse reminds me of what we talked about this year about the Black Death. Afterwards, education and advancements became scarce. Their hospitality sounds like it could be very uncomfortable. It could be hard to get used to. How long did it take you to adjust? Are you worried that when you come back to the U.S. you’ll be considered rude before you adjust back?
    Thanks for taking the time to write to us!
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete